[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring -- Phuzzy Physics

Michel Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Sat Jan 14 01:32:37 EST 2006

Bill I been subject to "helper metal" and "A kite and a brick", in both
cases olfaction it seems to avoid any real discussion, I view an anchor
as a tool that you understand and use like any tool. But you are getting
me nervous here because, it seems that you are having a fixation here, I
mean we are talking about an anchor, not your mother, out faith or
politics. An anchor zealot? It like you can not here anything against
the "anchor", you will lay down your life for the anchor, the anchor can
do no wrong, only you know the right anchor and everyone else is wrong
about an anchor. Have you named the anchors? Anchors 12 program?

Now the nervous part(and I not sure I kidding now), are you upset with
me for talking about the anchors? Like you find it funny and tongue
check like written or are you upset? Reread some of you posts, saying
you are a little "committed" to your view is somewhat of an
understatement.

I play it straight, lets talk about anchors, chains and the FX-7, could
we say on subject please.

First off we are in a "dynamic model", the pieces do interact.

http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm

The is an very good article, what is saying is by adding Centenary
effect the shaft (pull) on the anchor says more horizontal to the
ground. I think your reply is "So what, The line is going to go straight
after 178 pounds(22 feet 1/4 and 150 of 3/8, 14 feet water), it has no
effect", That not quite the end of the story. It the "dynamic model",
what it also doing is delaying the full shock load from reaching the
anchor and the boat connections for 178 pounds, think of it like floor
padding, you jump from a 10 feet onto a concrete floor, broken ankle,
same jump onto 4 inches of padding walk away. Same impact speed, same
weight so the same impact force, How did the padding work?(well it
soft....but what is soft in this case), the padding changed the impact
time curve, think in term of graphs, instead of a straight vertical up
line(i.e going from falling to full weight on the concrete floor), you
now see a curve form on the graft with your weight growing onto the
padding over a longer period of time, the "give" delay and spread out
the shock load so the instance impact force never reached the bone
breaking point. The Centenary effect does the same thing for both the
anchor and boat cleats.

But now I hear you say, But the rope will do that!!! it has a different
"curve" than lifting the chain, it take longer to stretch the rope, also
once you go above about 10% of the working limit of the rope the fibber
start breaking, the chain could care less. In padding term think of it
as a soft pad over a firmer pad. The work as a team with both cruves
working together, you been on a boat in 20 knots, it not a steely load
it going from 0-full load, osculating, wave, winds, boat sailing at
anchor, etc...............

Now the "helper metal" crap, you missed the whole point in one respect,
Chafe!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are not diving on the anchor, you have no idea in
that rode/anchor is on a rock, old rebar, a 1934 broken BUD bottle, what
ever... after about 6 feet chain at 6:1 scope the rope is about 1 foot
of the floor, so hopefully it is above/not forced to rub against
anything that will cut it. Now here the badnew these anchors burry them
self, lets say power it down OH 1.5 feet, that means 10 feet or so of
line under sand/mud/rock and what else has built their in the last 300
years, and the line is shifting around a 30 square foot circle of the
"mixture" as the boat swinges, rubbing against it, plowing thought,
going taught...

helper metal path 2, sorry but this one you are wrong, lets start off
with a 4 pounds AL anchor, in water it loss 35% of it weight in water
(specific gravity 2.8 vs 7.8 for steel or 12%, BTW is a bigger loss in
saltwater but not in the mood to correct the math), so it is only 2.6
pounds, water is 20 times for dense air and the FX-7 is designed to show
a 32 degree angle of attack with broad blades, bottom line it "fly" in
pretty slow water, and we are talking about sailboat speeds, the augment
about other anchor or brick or cinderblocks was nonsense, speed is not
approaching infininity, none of the anchor type (none danfors, like
Bruce, luke, QCR, delta, etc..) are know for it or have a shape likely
to do it. The steel ones do it less.

I think you are convinced that either stop the boat or you get to play
out the rope fast enough that it will be just like stopping the boat.
Well I simple do not agree he, Even with everything ready to run, still
had issue get line out, My taste but if I am using the anchor for safty
I want it to work right not.

Next issue, setting a daforth, they simple do not set every time, That
is the "standard" complaint, show up in every last test, every sail who
uses them  has their own stories, I bet you to have a few to, I pick up
this theme again on reset.

When set the do hold nice, but that not the end of the story.

Boats more around, wind change, tides, etc... The reset problem, the
frount come thought, 180 degree wind shift, boat swings around, assuming
150 feet of rode the boat has built up some speed over that 300 feet and
pulls the anchor out. Now that the boat is moving backwards and the
anchor is on it own to reset, all the fancy trick to set it are not
aviable, you not their or sleeping. It can be bad news, Then you pick up
and another problem they have, because the boat is moving at a somewhat
constant speed when they do breakout their Point kind of "scribe" a line
on the bottom instead dig back in, they seem to get in a "steadstate"
around it(BTW argue with PS about it not me) BTW I know you could set
two or even 3 but what about the swing of the people around you.

They do great in mud, sand/clay/hard stuff they like dig in sideways on
one point and would not dig in(again take it up with PS).

BTW I ran some quick calculation, the 8hp nision should be getting about
130-150 lb of dig in power, up to 190 if you switched to a sailboat
prop.
But you are way below the number from the fortress website for their
"powerdigging" and it looks like ABYC wants 400 lb for a working anchor,
http://www.epcomarineproducts.com/pdfs/H-40.pdf

So what other anchor type do we want to talk about? I was shocked the
bruce did so well in PS, they got luckly, BTW I know their problems
also.

-MJM
PS

This