[Rhodes22-list] Heave-To

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Jan 16 10:31:10 EST 2006

I also have found that heaving to is a handy technique
for buying time away from the tiller.

Although I have not used that technique in 40 kt winds,
I'd be inclined to use it up until things didn't feel right.
Beyond that point, out comes the (sea) anchor.

One thing to think about -- a furling headsail is a godsend
up to the point where it decides to unfurl -- uncontrollably --
in a very high wind.  At some point I'd either completely
remove or completely furl and lash down the genoa and go to
a hanked-on storm jib on a solent stay -- with a down-haul.
Given time, and knowing that weather was on the way, I'd
deploy a storm jib at the same time as I went to a second
reef in the main.

/Bob Skinner