[Rhodes22-list] Fluid Dynamics

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 19:58:17 EST 2006

Bill,

    In general there is a boundary layer between a solid object and
fluid flowing around it.  Typically this is analyzed to understand the
sources of drag on a hull, which are dependent on the relative
velocities, the viscosity of the fluid, and whether the flow is laminar
or turbulent.  The actual smoothness of the hull has only a minor
effect.  The molecular layer adjacent to the hull is considered as
moving at the hull velocity, there is then a boundary layer where the
velocity of the the water increases to the velocity of the stream.
For a hull moving through water at ~5 knots the boundary layer is
a few millimeters.  It may be a bit larger in a river, but if the bed
has
few large obstacles it is hard to see how there would be a large
enough turbulent boundary layer the tumble an anchor.  the problem
is different if there is a bend or obstruction in the river with changes
the direction of flow.

By the way one of the nice applications of the boundary layer concept
is the "tea leaf" problem, which analyzes the reason tea leaves
congregate
at the center of a teacup after stirring in terms of boundary layer
effects.

Ron