[Rhodes22-list] Fluid Dynamics

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Jan 16 20:06:02 EST 2006

Peter,

Those who think I know nothing about anchoring will be pleased to learn
I know even less about fluid dynamics.  As I understand this thread,
that is what you are asking about, and I hope some of the physics people
will jump back in, incoming flak notwithstanding.

First let me reiterate that I would never attempt to anchor in a 5 kt.
current.  All boats are out of control at this speed--they can't stop;
if they are drifting they can't steer; and if they are coming at you and
you are stopped in the middle of the current they are going to hit
you--hard.

The current in the East River is not always 5 kts.  5 kts. is the peak,
and it doesn't hit that peak every time.  I have gone down the East
River at 4-5 kts. and it is a thrill seeker's ride.  At 4-5 kts. you are
drifting with the current.  You can't steer because the water is
traveling at the same speed as the boat.  This is true for all boats.
The big working boats -- the barges and tugs; tankers; etc. -- generally
travel with the current to save fuel.  They have the right of way, and
there is absolutely no way for them to steer around you if you are in
trouble, right in front of them.  They move very fast -- I would guess
10-15 kts.  5 kts. is the current, and then to maintain control they
must move faster than the current.  So they travel at 5 - 10 kts. on top
of that current for a combined speed over ground in the 10-15 kt range.

You do the same.  You fly down the river, and as I've mentioned before,
you often go down the river faster than the cars on the adjacent FDR
roadway.  So, you're doing 10 kts. over ground, not 5.

Meanwhile, high powered ferries and hydroplanes are crossing back and
forth between Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, and you may encounter a
Circle Line Cruise going the wrong way, or turning around at the end of
its run.

The chop in the water is chaotic--these are big boats pushing a lot of
water around.  You are basically a cork with an outboard.  Sometimes
it's windy.

No matter what, throwing an anchor overboard is probably the worst thing
you can do in an emergency under these conditions.  What will you do if
it catches?

If you threw an anchor overboard and it caught you would be stern
anchored.  Now you would have water flooding over your stern into the
cockpit and cabin with no way to stop it.  The amount of water that
would flood in will sink the boat in a blink of an eye.  It would be
impossible to turn the boat into the current -- you would broach if you
tried -- but presumably you have no motor or rudder or you wouldn't have
thrown the anchor overboard in the first place.  You would not be able
to free yourself from the anchor if you had attached the end to anything
substantial.

In short -- don't try to anchor in this situation.  Know that if
something bad happens you've got to come up with some other solution.

Having said that, I will now tell you how we were forced to anchor in
the East River.  I was going down the river with a friend in a 30 foot
Cal.  Something wrapped around his propeller when we were near North
Brother Island, and the motor just stopped.  The current was not 5 kts.,
and I'm not sure it ever reaches 5 kts. at that point.

We steered into the current while we still had some weigh on, and
dropped the Danforth style anchor into the river from the bow as we lost
forward momentum.  The anchor immediately gripped.  We let out a lot of
scope.  Tied off the anchor.  Removed the junk from the propeller.
Motored up to the anchor as we pulled in the line.  And continued on our
way.  That's all there was to it.

Here's the fluid dynamics part.  As I understand eddies, they occur
because the water is not one solid mass flowing at a constant speed.  I
think the water can move faster at the surface than the bottom.  So if
you drop an anchor it encounters turbulence which may cause it to tumble
or spin on the way to the bottom, but the water may be traveling far
more slowly at the bottom allowing the anchor to set at a much slower
speed than the boat is moving.

I could be completely wrong about this.

In any case, we did set the anchor from the bow in a wide part of the
"river" by successfully bringing the boat to a controlled stop out of
the flow of traffic and anchoring with our "Go-To" anchor in the normal way.

Bill Effros