[Rhodes22-list] anchoring obsession

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 16:47:44 EST 2006

Michael and Bill,

Is it really the same problem?  In current, the anchor and everything else
is swept along the bottom with the current.  I imagine it might be easier to
set from a moving boat but in still water.  The flukes, being dragged, might
catch and "sail" through the still water, plunge down and set.  Drifting
with a current there would be no fluke steerage, just everything being swept
along.

I suppose that is a loose use of the term sailing.  7/2/2003, Mac26x, 50hp
at 2,000 rpm ~ 2-3 knots, ballast tank full, one rudder down -- it's a Mac
thing.    Passed under Throgs Neck Bridge after flood tide.  At one point
GPS had us 8 knots over the bottom later than morning near Brooklyn Bridge.
We really had no desire to anchor that day.  New York's Finest boat cops
probably wouldn't have allowed it anyway.  They were in high security mode
so close to the 4th.

PT