[Rhodes22-list] Heave-To

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 17 09:19:59 EST 2006

Rummy and Wally,

Of course I agree with you.  In a 22' boat an eye on the weather to avoid
being caught out in very heavy air is the best defense.  None of us
need that kind of adventure and must substitute grey brain matter and good
judgment for lots of lead in the keel the blue water boats have that make
them safer in extreme conditions.

Did you read in the archives about the guy sailing out of Blackbeard SC on
the Neuse who confronted a 6' squall driven wave with high winds?  That's
the stuff I'm talking about. If a summer squall comes long, bringing 40 plus
winds on a temporary basis, either out on the Chesapeake or Pamilco.  Both
have vast expanses where in a squall there is no shelter if caught in the
middle.  A squall is a localized storm.  5 miles away conditions can be
completely different and manageable.  To make it worse, there's also lots of
shoal mud bottom and poor holding ground here.

Probably up to around 35-40 heaving to is a good option.  Above that the fat
IMF mast and big 175 rolled up on the forestay provide too much windage
even under bare poles for the stability of the boat and it's just out of
it's range.  When the 55knt storm came through Ocracoke last fall I don't
think we had the eye of it, but the pop-top cover and bare poles had us
heeled 30 degrees in the slip.

I think keeping the bow into the wind/waves would be absolutely neceassary
in order the keep the boat on it's feet over 40.  So, caught out there in
the middle, that leaves either anchoring or a sea anchor.  Bob's comments
are interesting and seemed on the mark.  I think if in Maine during extreme
conditions a sea anchor would be the best do deal with lots of tide, current
and hard bottoms.  At $1,000 for a sea anchor and all the appurtenant,
floats, rode etc, caution will have to substitute until a few other
improvements are acquired first.

Down here on our estuary mud flats perhaps the FX11 set for 45 mud holding
would work just fine.  If Bill can hook in the East River at 5 knots
current, then maybe hooking on the bottom of the Pamlico while begin blown
around is no problem.  I don't have much experience with it and just don't
know.  In the areas marked "Ooze" it may not hold. But it just needs enough
grab to keep the bow into the wind, right?  I really hope I never have to
find out.

This discussion has been helpful to me to gain some insight about what to do
if ever trapped in a bad situation.  I would imagine there would be little
time for thought, just action.  So it's best to think it through now.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.  In the current Good Old
Boat magazine (1-2/2006) there is an article on anchoring. It's a pretty
good piece, but after reading all your responses and checking out the links,
I can say they offer nothing not already covered on this list.  Thanks
again.