[Rhodes22-list] Varnishing Virgin

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jan 19 17:49:16 EST 2006

Mark,

I've posted this so often I'm bored with it.  If you look, the dates go
back a few years.  But, of course, it keeps coming up.  I still hold
these views, enjoy the varnishing, look forward to doing it each year,
find it protects the tiller very well in my climate, and remain proud of
my ability to produce this product.  I don't stain, and I don't use
"Cetol" or like products that have superior UV protection but impart a
yellow cast.

All varnish seems to work.  More expensive varnish is easier to apply.
Lots of very thin coats seems to work best.  A can of varnish could last
me a lifetime.

Bill Effros

Old post follows -- Subject changed to original subject line.

This topic seems to always come up at this time of year for understandable
reasons.

Never having varnished anything in my life, I filed everything in "Does Not
Apply To Me" (read "Delete") the first year I was on the list.

Last year Rummy brought it up again, and after a dozen replies went to West
Marine and bought whatever the pretty sales girl told him to buy.  I thought
it was just another example of that song "When The Little Head Does The
Thinking", but Rummy reported he was very happy with the outcome.

The only exterior wooden brightwork on my boat is the tiller which, by that
time, was so ratty-looking I had ordered another from Stan.  Figuring I had
nothing to lose, I decided to follow the advice on the list, and attempt to
strip down and varnish my tiller.  I was astonished at the results.

If Raz's work rates a 10, and Rummy's is a 9, then mine would be a 7.  When
the tiller arrived from General Boats its varnish rated a 2.

I loved my tiller every time I looked at it or touched it.  It was simply
magnificent in my humble opinion.  The project was perhaps the most
satisfying thing I did all year.  It still looks and feels great.  I can't
wait to put on a fresh coat of varnish as soon as it gets a little warmer.
I'm looking for other things to varnish around my house.

The single most useful posting came from Raz.  I followed his directions,
and wound up feeling enormously relaxed. Following is his post from last
year:

"I highly recommend thinning oil based varnish with marine Penetrol, which
is
a polymerized boiled linseed oil. The mix that works well for me is about a
tablespoon of Penetrol to 1/4 cup of varnish. That's about the right amount
to do a real good coat on a tiller and it brushes out like a dream. Unlike
solvent thinners this will not degrade the varnish coat. Pettit recommends
thinning their varnishes no more than 10% with solvent and that only for the
first bonding coat on bare wood. I use straight Penetrol for the first coat.
The instructions on the Penetrol can outline the whole process. I have never
had a varnish finish lift from moisture penetration using their process. The
trick to a good varnish coat is to use a premium chinese boar bristle brush
well loaded with varnish and thoroughly brush out each coat. Any slight
brush marks will level out and disappear as the varnish cures. It takes at
least 3 coats of undiluted varnish to build a thick enough finish to last
through a couple of years of marine exposure.   If  I am starting with bare
wood I do at least 6 coats, allowing each coat to completely dry for at
least  24 hours, sometimes several days if the air is humid.The penetrol
does lengthen the drying time between coats. I lightly wet sand with 220
grit wet or dry paper between coats using water with a few drops of dish
washing detergent or Murphy's oil soap added. Wet sanding is faster and
keeps the varnish from getting soft from over heating due to the sanding
friction. The object is to just remove the gloss without taking off any more
varnish than you absolutely have to to get rid of rough spots and
imperfections.  A few minutes before you are ready to recoat, wipe the wood
down with a rag wet with thinner and allow that to completely dry off.
Before the very last coat, I wet sand with 400 grit. It took 3 weeks last
year to do 6 coats on my Compac tiller, but its only a couple of leisurely
hours per coat including the sanding and cleanup. The end results were
spectacular. I'll have to start over this year with a new tiller for the
Gloucester, sigh. Actually I really enjoy this process, its sort of like Zen
meditation to me."

Thanks, Raz. I'll follow the maintenance instructions to the letter.  I
really did enjoy the process as much as the outcome, and it was a lot like
Zen meditation.  I've been looking forward to the maintenance all year.

Bill Effros