[Rhodes22-list] Outboard engines

David R. Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 08:48:47 EST 2006

I use my motor for steering and my tiller in the same way that Rob does,
although I do have the Yamaha 9.9 long shaft.  I link the motor and tiller
only on backing out of the dock slip (where I have to make a sharp cut to
avoid the next line of boats on the pier immediately astern) and on
returning into the slip.  Doing this, especially with the centerboard down,
allows a very sharp turning cut.  Sometimes I keep the motor in neutral
except to put it briefly in forward to "kick" into a sharper turning angle,
at a time when I need to be going more slowly even that at lowest forward
throttle speed.

At all other times, just like Rob, I have the motor de-linked from the
tiller and locked in straight fore-and-aft position, and steer entirely with
the tiller.

Incidentally, practice makes perfect on the steering.  It took me "only"
four years to "perfect" my turn so that I don't touch either side of the
finger slip or bump into anything else while making my sharp turns in close
quarters and sometimes with unfavorable winds catching and blowing the hull
and spars around.  Yet, if I changed to a different slip, I am sure I would
be set back a long way in the trial-and-error of getting into a close space.
Every marina is different.  I briefly was at one marina where I could sail
into my slip, even under conditions of many boats in close quarters and once
with my mainsail's inner mast furling jammed in the out position and having
to dock at a leeward slip on a broad reach.  But in my regular slip, if I
tried that, I might as well save time by already having the boat insurance
claim forms filled out and signed.

David Keyes
S/V Arrowhead
Lake Travis, Texas