[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Michael re Seattle

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Tue Jan 31 22:44:05 EST 2006

Michael,
I've been out to PNW twice once to Portland & once to Vancouver BC. Both
were very nice places to visit and if I had to pick up and move across
country for a job I wouldn't mind so much if it were the PNW.

My impressions are that it is more laid back than the east coast but not so
"touchy feely" as CA. You would feel out of place but I expect you might
come to appreciate the somewhat slower pace and the friendliness.

I've never been to Seattle and it might feel more like a big city - both
Portland and Vancouver seemed more like big towns and clean ones at that.

We landed in Portland in a snowstorm - they got 5 or 6 inches and it
stopped them dead. Those that had them put the chains on the cars and
ventured out if they had to. They didn't plow - just cindered and then when
it melted they sent the street sweepers out to sweep it all back up. We
spent a couple of days on the Oregon coast in Feb. that trip.

The Vancouver trip was also in February. I don't think I've ever seen more
magnificent scenery except in pictures. Lots of sailing there and I hear
good things about Puget Sound.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. We, on the other hand, are about to
buy a house on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I might even retire.

Best wishes.
Mary Lou

1991 R22   Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, Rock Hall, MD