[Rhodes22-list] Launched!

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 4 09:25:28 EDT 2006

Tom,

It worked out great but the process was a little nerve wracking. I had
noticed the boat on line months prior to making an offer. I kept seeing the
same boat for sale but it was really way more than my cheap budget would
allow. I finally contacted the seller and after a brief description and only
about 5 photos I made an offer. The owner turned the offer down and didn't
counter. I had to factor in gas, driving time, meals and hotel. Plus it was
a boat sitting in a yard in the middle of winter. This was a divorce sale,
the boats wasn't being used, and PO was paying storage fees. After a few
weeks we got back on the phone and I made another offer. We got a deal!

My friends thought I was a little crazy when I was looking for someone to
drive up with me. So we headed up to WI and noticed white stuff all over the
ground once we got to IL. The roads were fine but I started to wonder if the
boat would be covered with snow.....We got to the yard and they had actually
hauled the boat indoors. They were pressure washing hull and working on the
trailer lights. I was able to inspect the boat somewhat but I was not able
to rig. I have been around sailboats pretty much my whole life and the best
I could tell it looked like it was in great shape.

My 84 was a pretty basic model in need of a little TLC. PO said he never got
electrical system to work. The hull was very faded blue, ok cabin and
cockpit cushions. Hull was solid with new bottom paint. The IMF main and 125
were never used Quantum sails. It also came with a one year old Harken
furler, spinnaker, whisker pole, a beat 155 and ragged second IMF Main.

The electrical system was easy to fix, some fuses and new connections. I
added 2 group 24 Walmart Marine Deep Cycle batteries at $38 each (still
going strong after 4 plus years) and a dual 10 AMP Guest Charger. I had to
replace pump for water tank (cheap). I went with a self priming pump as I
had read complaints about original. Other than fixing soft spot under
cockpit table base I haven't done anything else other than adding new sheets
and halyard for the genny. The boat has lived up to all of my expectations.

I hope your deal worked out as well!

Wally