[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Frone Crawford

FCrawford0707 at aol.com FCrawford0707 at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 09:55:18 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/5/2006 7:35:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tnrhodey at hotmail.com writes:

Herb,

Don't tell me you think we attacked for oil too? I thought  everyone has been
trying to convince me this wasn't about  oil?

Just returned from the long weekend - Harking back to the "reason" we
attacked (commenced hostilities against ) Iraq is , it seems to me , only partly
because of oil - the bigger reason was to establish what used to called a
"sphere of influence " in the Middle East (where, of course, a good bit of the
world's oil lies yet to be pumped).  The goal was to get control of Iraq as  a
base to "influence" (control, rule ??) Iran and Syria.  What the Bushies
overlooked was their history - Iraq wore out the British, Afghanistan wore out  the
Soviets.  If you think that our founding fathers had a bit of wisdom,  the
Monroe Doctrine is one of the pillars - without descending to isolationism,  we
should have known better than to go halfway around the world, burning our
diplomatic good will and bridges as we went, to  control the Middle  East.  Bush,
et al.  got seduced by the idea that we  were the world's sole superpower - so
was Rome, and foreign adventures  contributed to it's ultimate inability to
protect its own borders.    The Iraq adventure gives uncountable illustrations
of the rule of unintended  consequences, all bad for the U.S. of A.
    Frone Crawford
    s/v Sunday Morning