[Rhodes22-list] To DAVE about Virginia and in reply

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 19:26:05 EDT 2006

Philip,

I have not adjusted for inflation, all $ were nominal.  I tried to  adjust
for inflation, but I couldn't find any consistent inflation data that  went back
to 1900.  However, even without inflation adjustments it is  possible to make
Republican/Democrat comparisons in those cases were one party  immediately
succeeded the other.  For example, Reagan succeeded Carter, and  his average
borrowing per year went up x3 (tripled), Nixon succeeded  Johnson and his average
borrowing per year went up x2 (doubled).  But to  compare Clinton with Warren
Harding, or even Herbert Hoover,  is a great  reach.

I didn't break out Soc Sec, Medicare, etc, they don't borrow.  The  numbers
reflect borrowing as per the National Debt which can be found in  ustreas.gov.
The National Debt is a result of the gap between income  and costs.  Soc
Security in particular is not in a debt position - yet - so  there is no borrowing
to report, income has covered program costs, for the time  being.  Actually,
Soc Security holds IOUs from Dept of Treas, that is, they  are a lender.

Regarding "entitlements" becoming "untouchable" - that's crazy.  Any  program
can be changed at any time.  It may be hard to change, it may be  politically
unpopular to change it, but  it can be changed.   Republicans have controlled
the House and Senate for much more than a decade,  there is no bill
whatsoever that they couldn't pass, no legislation they  couldn't change - if they were
united and wanted to do it.  If a  program hasn't been changed it's not
because of FDR, Andrew Jackson, John Smith  and the Jamestown Party, the Battle of
the Boyne, the fall of the Roman empire,  or the Persian invasion of the Greek
city states, it's because the majority  party (i.e. the Republican's) in the
current Congress didn't want to make the  changes.

Regarding the razor thin Republican majority, see
_http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS22007.pdf_
(http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS22007.pdf)
There are 232 Republicans vice 201 Democrats in the House for an excess of
31 votes - that's not razor thin.  Razor thin is 1 or 2 votes, we're more  than
x10 away from that.  There's 55 Republican Senators vice 45  Democrats -
again not my idea of razor thin.

Regarding are we at war: Yeah we're at war, we invaded a sovereign state so
we're at war. It's got nothing to do with terrorism.  It was a slow day,  the
president was ticked off, so we invaded a sovereign state - a slam dunk,
right?  Nation building as it were.  The citizens were going to love  us as
invaders - children dancing in the street, young ladies throwing  themselves at our
soldiers, we were bringing "the answer" that they all had  longed for for
literally thousands of years - you remember all that?  Yeah,  we hit that
tar-baby.

Good judgement by our leaders?  I don't think so.

As for the GWOT, I'll bet we do get hit again, and we're going to have to
respond again.  But a little intelligence and perspective would go a long  way.
If 19 bad guys hit you, each armed with $4.95 box cutters for a  total
invested cost of less that $95, and you respond with 500,000 soldiers and  spend
$2,000,000,000 on the response, you'll go broke-you'll lose from economic
exhaustion.  The GWOT is a long term deal, there is no short term climatic  battle,
whatever you do has to be sustainable over the long term.  So you  need
restraint, you need perspective, and you need to mount an intelligent
defense/offense that you can carry for the long run - which appears to be a  foreign
concept.  But then, I don't think the current administration has  been accused of
over-thinking this or any issue.

Your notion about not providing retirement benefits for Congressmen and
Senators is novel.  I can think of no better way to ensure the  Congress is
controlled by, and populated by, rich people and moneyed  interest.  That's your
goal, right?

Good to know that the Democrats are corrupt from too many years in power -
and when would that be?  Not in a long long time. Don't think slogans,  give me
the most recent date they were the majority party, now subtract  that from
the current date, how many years has it been?   And that's a  big part of the
problem, it's been a one party show for a long time - and that  majority party
has gotten carried away.  I think we need some  balance.

Regarding the Dems and higher taxes, I think you're exactly right -  really.
The Dems come up with hair brained programs that will raise taxes,  and they
get voted down.  No one wants the higher taxes. The  Republicans come up with
hair brained programs - spread the cost over 30 years  via borrowing - nobody
thinks to ask about the total cost, it's a free  lunch, and their programs are
passed.  If you don't believe me, track the  national debt, the numbers don't
lie.  The problem is the Republicans are a  lot more devious and it's taken
John Q. Public a long time to catch on to the  Republican debt game (many still
have not figure it out), but it's  real.

Dave