[Rhodes22-list] Baffle them with Bullshit

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 01:56:51 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/5/2006 7:38:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
flybrad at gmail.com writes:

60%.http://www.debka.com/

Brad,

I think Bill's made some good points.  I don't think your Hormuz  #'s are
right; your initial post cited old data, the 5443 link flipped me to a  Mar 2005
article-more old data, I searched the Debka link and never  found your Hormuz
data, I think you're off by a factor of 100 with your  Wheaties analyses,  I
think your claim that 1 sunk tanker can top shipping  in the Straits of Hormuz
is wrong.  I don't want to stifle discussion,  but there is a pattern here.
We all err, some caution may be in  order.

Regarding $100/bbl oil:  It's possible and it may not be the end of  the
world.  As I recall, an analyst at Goldman Sachs called for $105/bbl  oil in the
near future about 6 months ago. Many laughed at the time and thought  it was a
self-serving analyses, but now it appears it might be possible.   I think
light-sweet oil closed at $75.19/bbl today and it could easily go  higher - all it
will take is a hurricane through the production infrastructure  in the Gulf
of Mexico, or wherever, or the Iranians, or ????.

The cost for oil has gone from about $30 - $40 in 04 to more than $70 this
year, and the world economy has done pretty well. I can believe it might go to
$100/bbl temporarily, that would hurt but it probably wouldn't be the end  of
the world or US economies.  80% of the worlds supplies will still come
through and nations everywhere are struggling to get off their oil habit and
develop alternative resources - they finally realize that having  cheap oil is much
different than having reliable energy, and reliable  energy is important.
Synfuel projects are cost effective at more than  $43/bbl (as I recall),
Canadian oil sands become cost effective (and are  currently ramping up facilities
and production), Brazil has shown  the way with ethanol - the basic energy
picture is starting to change in a  fundamental way.  The hybrid cars you see on
the road are testament to the  change taking place.  I suspect the world could
cope with $100/bbl oil,  although it might cause a recession which would
mitigate demand.  In  the long run though (5 years, maybe less), if the price of oil
continues at  these elevated levels I think the losers are going to be the
unreliable oil  producers and prices will drop as alternate resources (synfuel
and tar  sands) that can produce at $40-$50/bbl come on line.

As for the Iranians building nukes, that's a serious problem for the
Israelis, and the Turks, and the Russians, isn't it?  I'm confident that  any of
those 3 countries are fully up to the task at hand, assuming our  intelligence
community is actually right regarding Iran.  To my knowledge,  the Iranians have
no delivery system that could remotely threaten these  United States.  It
doesn't have to be our problem, we don't need 3 wars at  once.  Again, jmo.   I
suspect the JCS are pointing this out to  Rumsfield, Rice, and Bush in a way
they can understand - I think the  military is max'd out "nation building, as it
were" in Afghanistan and  Iraq.

(Oh, and if Saddam (total turkey that he was & is) were still in  power I
think it's likely we wouldn't be having this Iranian problem; somehow I  think
the nuclear issue with Iran would have been taken care  of.)

Dave