[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Technique Question

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Jul 7 17:07:25 EDT 2006

Mark,

After sailing my R22 for 25 years, I still consider myself a basic (or
novice) sailor.  I have never had any formal sailing training other than a
boating safety course and Stan's "in-service" launch (so you guys who really
know how to sail are welcome to correct me).  Time and patience rewards you
with the knowledge that you will know how the R22 will respond to many
conditions.  It is a very predictable and forgiving boat.

While I have weathered much (and so has the boat), my wife and I still
prefer the illusion that we have control over nature, particularly the wind
and water.  We have sailed with the rail at the water but never really
buried.  I feel safe by staying high on the opposite side, hiked out on a
backstay or stern rail.  In an effort to maintain the feeling of control, I
routinely have the tiller extension, the main sheet and the jib sheet either
in hand or close by.  On our initial cruise with Stan, I observed him run
the jib sheet from one winch to the other, across the cockpit, permitting
him to cleat it on the high side.  While it makes navigating the cockpit a
bit tougher, it gives me the feeling of safety that I needed.  I use it
regularly.

Maybe this is just what you need to keep the jib sheet "within reach" to
handle those gusts.  If you already sail using this technique and do not
feel comfortable with the gusts, then spilling a bit of wind may be a better
solution.  Alternatively, you could increase your libation and you probably
wouldn't be so aware of the gusts or the boat's response.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer '81