[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Technique Question

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Sat Jul 8 01:11:00 EDT 2006

Flat is fast... I will admit little experience on the R22, however these
techniques have worked for me on many other boats.

If fast is your goal, try to keep the boat flat. When not steering a
particular course, set the headsail (smaller early, then bring more out as needed) and
steer to the tell-tails. The main can be dumped if a gust hits while still
maintaining a trimmed headsail and as a result not losing much speed. If you are
generally overpowered (i.e. without gusts) reduce all sail area. A an evenly
balanced rig will also help with rudder control. Burying the rail may be fun
for some, it is never fast.

Rummy is also very right about lowering the center of effort on the main when
the winds dictate.

Many hours of racing and cruising have taught me to respect Mother Nature. If
simply enjoying an afternoon sail, there is no reason to test the limits of
the equipment. Simply reduce the sail area and head up if needed. The loss of a
headstay reported on a recent post reminds me of accidents that did not end
so favorably. We should never forget that this simple sport can be dangerous
and should not be treated lightly when (not if) foul weather arrives.

Tom Trenkle