[Rhodes22-list] Energy, Farming, High School Geopolitics

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 03:26:25 EDT 2006

Brad,

I think your reaching to make your arguments and your conclusions.  I  think
your are confabulating outdated “facts”, loose logic, and strawmen.   In the
following I’ve taken on specific topics raised in your post as they  appeared.
 The responses are numbered and segregated so that each item is  focused on
and addresses an issue raised in your post.

1. Hormuz: No one ever said the Straits of Hormuz was not a strategic choke
point.  Rather I challenged your statement that a single tanker, i.e. 1,  can
shut the Straits.  As I recall the Straits of Hormuz are 50 mi wide at  their
narrowest point, the exact number doesn’t matter, what matters is that  it’s
a helluva lot bigger than any single tanker.  The Wikipedia source  shows
there are 2 shipping channels one mile wide separated by 2 miles.   I’m not aware
of any single ship that when sunk is remotely large enough to shut  down a 1
mile wide channel, let alone 2 one mile wide channels separated by 2  miles.  I
am aware of super tankers, super Panamax container ships, and  CVNs, none are
close to being 1 mile long (i.e. one channel width), let alone  21,000 ft
long (needed to shut down 2 channels simultaneously including the  buffer).  The
explicit question you ask in your post is “What happens if  you sink a tanker,
or a US aircraft carrier in the middle of the shipping  channel?”; my
explicit answer is you sail around it, it’s not a big deal,  and oh, you've still got
that other channel that's totally  unobstructed.   I’m challenging your
statement that a single sunk ship  is going to shut the Straits - from my
perspective, it makes no sense.

Regarding Iranian gunboats and submarines: First, this was not a part of
your initial post, your statement was that one well placed ship could shut the
straits down - that statement is wrong.  But as to gunboats and submarines,
bring em on.  I have some familiarity with naval warfare and the capability  of
our Navy.  I say again, bring em on.  Mines could be a problem, but  they have
to be laid and there is technology involved.  You may remember  the last time
our middle east friends(Iraq) tried mines they were minimally  effective.

There is no doubt in my mind the Iranians could disrupt the oil supply to
some degree, but  I expect the vast majority of any disruption will be on  land
(pipelines and terminals), or pseudo-land (i.e. oil rigs and transfer
stations) as opposed to on the water, and especially the Straits. War on water  is
not urban warfare, targets stand free and clear, the Iranians would  be dead
meat.  A supportable claim made within the Navy is that "we  (the US) own the
seas". You may not recall the last time there was an Iraqi  insurgency problem on
the water - there is a compelling reason that is the  case.  IMO the Iraqi
experience on the water will map into Iran in a  heartbeat, we can handle the
Straits of Hormuz and the rest.

2. Your point regarding oil production: My point, that I tried to make in  my
prior post, is your data are dated.  Use 2006 shipping data (i.e. the
Bloomberg article that is posted to you).  All of the data you have cited  is 2 or 3
years old - it does not apply to the current situation.  In fact,  if you
just track the data you posted by year you will see there has been a  consistent
and marked fall off in oil transiting the Straits of Hormuz - maybe  there’s a
war on.  I’ve cited and sourced specific shipment information in  a story
dated 2006, the number was 20%.  What is your specific shipment  data for 2006
and what is your credible source for shipments - not reserves,  shipments?

IMO your discussion regarding reserves is off subject.  The subject  was the
impact of an Iranian effort to disrupt the oil supply (i.e. shipments),  not
oil reserves.  Their reserves, our reserves, the world’s reserves, it  just
doesn’t matter.  The Iranian issue is now and the near future, they’ve
threatened to disrupt shipments, not reserves.

3. Tar Sands: Interesting that you have a lot of issues with tar  sands.  The
Canadians are investing a humongous amount of $ into tar  sands.  Also, I
believe pipelines are being built to transport the  product.  But these guys don’
t know anything, right?  My info is that  if oil stays above $43/bbl tar sands
are cost competitive.  But my info and  your opinions don’t matter, what
matters is the reality of substantial companies  investing billions of $ to bring
the tar sands resource on line, it’s  happening.  To verify the above, track
down SU and CNQ (stock symbols)  they and other companies are involved with
developing Canadian tar sands in  a big way with real money.

Regarding the environmental impact of tar sand production, you may or may
not be right.  But the Canadians are no slouches when it comes to the
environment, they’ll work it out.  If the environmental impacts were half  as bad as you
’ve described, I don’t think the projects would have been  permitted.

4. Re nuclear power: Again, your info is dated.  For roughly 30 years  the
environmental mafia has stopped further development of nuclear power in  the US,
the grossly harmful effects of coal emissions notwithstanding.  Now  the
environmental mafia have moved on to global warming and it’s occurred  to them
that nuclear is perhaps the single best answer to that problem.   They are no
longer opposing nuclear.  For example, South Texas Power(STP)  is adding 2
nuclear generating facilities (See _www.nei.org_ (http://www.nei.org)  and scroll
down.  Note, I am  sourcing my statement.).  Nuclear is back.

5. Re your statement “Lets say nukes are bad and coal is good.”, it’s got
nothing to do with any prior post, nor is it correct.

6. Re farming and farm policy: Your initial point on this matter was that
subsidies were a big bad deal.  We’ve worked the numbers on this board -  your
numbers show it’s not a big deal from a national perspective.  I  believe your
corrected numbers.  So your point that subsidies as  presently structured are
not optimal and need to be tweaked is on target, but as  per your own numbers,
any claim that it’s a big deal on a national scale is  wrong.

7. Regarding “We couldn’t replace our current crude consumption if we
planted every square inch of farm ground in the US.”  Could we have some  credible
numbers and analyses to support that claim?

There is a helluva lot of farmland in the US.  Moreover, the ethanol
substitution program is just getting started.  There may be better crops  than corn,
there may be better varieties of corn, there may be better  distillation
processes, there may be a lot of things.  We are at t=0 in  this game, after years
of denying it could work at all.

Just a few years ago public dogma was the ethanol couldn’t work, it was
simply and substantially cost ineffective, it was energy ineffective, it’ll
destroy your engine, etc.  Since then Brazil has made it work.  So now  the claim
is “oh, but they’re different, they have special beets.”  Maybe  Brazil is
different, and maybe its not, but what’s constant is the opposition  that would
rather dance to some arab sheiks tune than try to do something about  energy
independence.

I remember Pres Bush’s previous State Of  The Union address when he
announced he was going to start a new initiative at the DoE to develop more  efficient
cars and alternate fuels; he had earmarked $15M for that in his budget  -
whoopee, a big big $15M dollars for energy independence.  I wouldn’t be
surprised to find out that just this Rhodes22 board could come up with $15M if  we had
a certifiably good project.  It’s been more than 30 years since the  OPEC
embargo, maybe its time to get serious about sustainable energy, maybe it’s  time
to make some investments and solve the problem.

While we’ve been saying “we just can’t do it” when it comes to energy
independence the Brazilians have done it with ethanol and their indigenous oil,
and the South Africans have done it with coal/synfuels - and we still get a lot
 of bogus numbers to show “its just not possible” (see the first sentence of
this  numbered item).  There is a big lobby in these United States devoted to
 figuring out just how high we can jump for the arabs, and why we shouldn't
build efficient cars, and why any change to our egregiously dependent energy
posture is a bad thing.  That lobby includes big oil and the automakers -  and
I guess airline pilots.  It took the Japanese to give us hybrid cars,  it
took the Europeans to give us high mileage diesels, the Brazilians shoved
ethanol down the throats of our national naysayers, the South Africans   made
coal/synfuel work - our unique national contribution has been to wring our  hands
and complain that we just can’t do it, it doesn’t make any sense, and even  if
we could we soo enjoy kissing the tail of some sheik of araby that we’re not
even going to try anything, because it wouldn’t make sense.  Right?

Isn't it a little embarrassing that developing 3rd world countries have led
the way in developing and implementing the technology for energy
independence?  I mean, here we are allegedly the greatest and most advanced
technologically based country on the planet, and all we can do is figure out 40  good
reasons not to do anything constructive about the problem.  Brazil  solved it for
Brazil.  South Africa solved it for South Africa.

8.  Regarding John Lennon and Iraq: The prospect of basing foreign  policy,
and especially Iraq, on one of John Lennon’s random musical  musings is too
preposterous for words.  If you are going to base your  foreign policy on the
concept of “imagine” you are going to have an imaginary  foreign policy - and you
’re going to wind up in a lot of trouble.  Which,  come to think of it,
pretty much describes the current situation.

Explicitly regarding your imaginings for Iraq, there is no reason at all,
under any circumstances whatsoever, to expect that Iraq is going to quickly
evolve into a sane and rational democracy modeled after western democracys  -
where sane and rational means “sees the world in our terms”.  They do not  have
a democratic tradition, they are beset with deep cultural and religious
differences, they hate each other, they hate us, there is not much that they  don’t
hate and aren’t willing to kill - this is a good start right?  They  are a
Muslim country, in a Muslim region of the world and they are going to
spontaneously begin to see the “rightness of our cause” and the world on our  terms -
I don’t think so.

You want a better solution for Iraq?  How about, get the hell  out?  Declare
victory and leave.  I’ll quote another song writer,  Kenny Rogers;  remember
the line “you’ve got to know when to hold ‘em, know  when to fold ‘em, know
when to walk away, and know when to run”?  Maybe  it's time to fold 'em and
walk away.  Our being in Iraq is a consequence of  a monumental intelligence
failure compounded by a foolish and incompetent  Administration that did not
remotely begin to properly assess, plan, or  execute any part of the effort other
than the initial military invasion (and  it's consequent photo-opps).  There is
no way Iraq is going to develop  along the lines you envisioned - it’s flatly
unreasonable to expect that it  will.  Every Iraqi hates every other Iraqi,
and has for a few thousand  years. IMO, a year after the last US soldier leaves
Iraq the country will be  governed by a Shiite theocracy busy annihilating
the Sunni minority (as per  allah's directions), and that the Kurds will have
either seceded from Iraq or  will be fighting the Shiite theocracy.

If you describe your John Lennon visions to an FAA rep, I suspect  he'll
immediately want a urine specimen.  JMO.

Dave