[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Technique Question

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 8 09:06:28 EDT 2006

Mark,

Sometimes on a gusty day furled sails are great when a gust hits but not
enough canvas between the lulls. If you want to maintain speed on gusty days
try using your traveler. The key to sailing R22 fast is to keep the head
sail driving. In gusty conditions a slight backwind on the main and moving
the traveler to windward will help keep the boat flat, fast, and ready for
gusts (choice C). I sail solo in heavy winds often. Cross sheeting can be a
big help but it does make it hard to move around. If a gusts hit I ease
traveler, if that is not enough I will head up, and if that is not enough I
will ease main. My last choice is easing jib sheets. In gusty confitions it
is very important to keep your eye on the water so you can read the gusts
before they hit. If you do this you will have a much calmer ride and time to
make the proper adjustment. Also if you really aren't trying to make a
destination raising the CB does reduces heeling. Of course you create lee
way but if you just want to sail fast and flat what does it matter?

Wally.....posting using wifi on the river!