[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Technique Question

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 9 00:29:59 EDT 2006

Rummey,

As a follow up to your response to Marks question, you say you run  sheets to
the genny inside your shrouds. Stan has posted about that also.   How do you
rig your headsail to do that?  About how long are those  lines?  3/8" dia?
Those inner sheets connected to the headsail all the  time right (you  don't clip
them on when needed)?

Our boat came rigged with 2 3/8" sheets running down either side of the  boat
outside the shrouds.  I think that’s standard?  If you do run 2  3/8" sheets
inside the shrouds, in addition to the 2 outside, now you’ve got 4  lines
terminating at the headsail, do you use a shackle to attach them at the  sail or
do you just add to a knot at the headsail ( we’ve got a knot for the 2  outside
sheets now)?

Do the additional sheets mitigate the light air capability of the  headsail?
You’ve got their additional weight slung from the sail?

As I recall, a prior post from Stan described 2 inner sheets on each side
(one would control the headsail when it was between the inner shroud and outer
shroud, and the second would control the headsail when it was between the
inner  shroud and the mast), which together with the outside sheet on each side
would  amount to 6 lines terminating at the headsail - seems like a lot of
lines.   Do you do that?

Do you think it’s worthwhile running those inside sheets, or do the outside
sheets suffice for 90% of your sailing?

Thanks,
Dave