[Rhodes22-list] Advice on boat purchase

kathylong at comcast.net kathylong at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 17:26:20 EDT 2006

This is my first post to the Rhodes22 list so I hope I am sending this email to the correct address.
I sailed and raced for about 10 years 'when I was young' spring, summer and fall every week on the Navesink River in NJ - blue jays and later lightnings.  Now I am a middle-aged, wife and mother and I would like to get back into sailing.  My husband (a non-sailor) and I have taken the first step by joining the Raritan Yacht Club.  We now have to figure out what type of boat to purchase.  The members of RYC day sail, race and cruise.  (There was no 'crusing' at Monmouth that I remember.)
If we race it would be mostly for fun.  We have an active crusing program at RYC with neighboring clubs.
We looked at the J24, but we think it would not be a good cruiser - or not as good as the Rhodes.
Any feedback on the Rhodes for fun racing, day sailing and cruising (weekend trips)?  The most people we would have on the boat would be four.  More typically just 2.
Any one on this list from NJ?

thank you,
Kathy Long