[Rhodes22-list] Advice on boat purchase

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:00:35 EDT 2006

Kathy,

The J24 and Rhodes 22 are both great boats but for different reasons. The
J24 is a great racer and  the R22 is a great pocket cruiser.

The J24 will sail circles around a Rhodes 22. It doesn't matter if there are
light winds, heavy winds, upwind or downwind. The J24 will smoke the R22
every time. I have a good friend that used to own one so I can speak first
hand. He now owns a J33 that will smoke the J24.

There are plenty of J24 one design racing fleets for good reason. That being
said you can still race a R22. I raced mine for 3 seasons in our B Fleet
while the J boats battled it out in the A fleet. I usually came in the top
three corrected. You can also cruise 2 in a J24 but it will not have the
nice gally, poptop, and double berths. The real problem with J24 cabin is
they are filled up with sailbags. With IMF and furling main the cabin of the
R22 is not cluttered with sailbags. I keep my spinnaker in the laz or at
home.

The J24 also has no pop-top. This a huge plus when cruising. The J24 has a
nice size cockpit but it is open with no coamings or seatbacks. The R22 is a
dry boat even in heavy weather. the J24 is a wet ride in most conditions.

One thing you didn't mention is towing and or haul outs. The R22 is easily
trailored the J24 is not.

Good luck,

Wally