[Rhodes22-list] racing rhodes

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Tue Jul 11 09:47:49 EDT 2006

List members keep using shortcuts I do not know, so here is one that may or may not be in use (?)

POI

We are considering coming out with the RCR model (Rhodes Club Racer) and welcome your feedback.

A local owner had purchased an older, lighter Rhodes and outfitted it with mast bending capabilities, conventional mast and sail, a forward traveler, etc. and says he is beating everything in sight or that enters his local club races.  He thinks we are nuts to be missing this market and has volunteered to guide us if we decide to bring out a club racer.

We would be using the same new molds with our combination keel diamond/board (maybe a new designed diamond spade rudder blade) but with a much lighter (not as comfortable a ride) lay-up of hull and deck.  The mast would be a standard design but with a long top aft projection to move back stays further aft at top for clearing a standard mainsail with special battening, along with mast bending capabilities, traveler and boom vang.

The inferior would have the"V" berth, semi-enclosed porta potti type head area and sail and beer and food stuff lockers for extra sails and portable ice chest storage to starboard instead of the galley and the "U" shaped dinette convertible to the 6'-6" double berth to port incase the crew had to nap while waiting for others to catch up.  It would have one battery and running lights for night racing or an accidental late crossing of the finish line.

Tentative price tag:  $22,995 with cushions, head, sails, motor, trailer, stern rail, solar panels, hatches, etc optional so buyers could get a RCR outfitted strictly for racing or to whatever extend beyond that if also wanted to do some cruising.

In earlier days with earlier boats I had been able to keep abreast of J 24s - downwind.  With the new RCR     model, J- 22s may have to look out - particularly if we can limit the competitions to races sponsored by clubs in shallow water communities.

ss