[Rhodes22-list] TV Worth Watching

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:27:00 EDT 2006

Relax everyone, it is time to make the donuts so this is the last post of
the day.  Last night, National Geographic TV did a series on air disasters.
I didn't get the heads-up until halfway through the episode on FedEx 705 but
did catch the last 30 minutes.  It is a "cheesy" production with many errors
and omissions but mostly factual.   Some have speculated that 705 created
the idea for 9/11.  Hardened cockpit doors and pilots packing guns should
prevent it from happening again.  Be sure and spread the word to your
terrorist friends.  Here is the schedule for future showings.

 Also airs:
*Tuesday, July 11, 1A*
*Sunday, July 16, 2A*
**

*Here are some comments from one of the  crewmembers.  The comments from
Janie, of Mike and Janie,  are from the wife (and fellow pilot) of the guy
who rescued me from my grounding last Spring.*
**
 Subject: To all who might be interested-thanks Jim . .for the head's up

National Geographic Channel TV Schedule

-Fedex Pilot Auburn Calloway April 1994 Suicide Attack:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ET/popup/200607102200.html
-
- If you're interested, National Geographic Channel will air "Suicide
Attack" as part of their Mayday series on Mon., July 10 at 9 p.m. CST.
-
- This is a Canadian production of the FedEx Flight 705 incident.
-
- The crew...David, Jim and Andy, cooperated with the producers and are
interviewed in the show.
- – Susan
-
- ~ This is a letter I received from Jim Tucker (Friar Tuck) recently. I
plan on watching the National Geographic documentary on the 10th of this
month.
-
- Thought there might be some others out there who would want a heads up
and want to watch as well.
-
- Friar, as you remember was the First Officer on that ill-fated flight,
and received the worst of the injuries.
-
- He's living in South Alabama now and has entered the Ministry. His
actions during the attempted hi jack (even though severely injured) were
nothing short of amazing.
-
- His take on part of the documentary doesn't sound favorable, but it
should be interesting nonetheless.
- Pappy
-
- ~ Subject: National Geographic
-
- Last year, many individuals who were intimately involved with the
events surrounding FedEx 705 (and the members of the crew), collaborated
with Canadian producers for National Geographic--to put together a
documentary on the events of April 7th, 1994 (the day of my last FAA
physical, my last manipulation of the controls of a DC-10-30, and the
abrupt beginnings of my new life).
-
- In the words of Dickens: "It was the best of times--it was the worst
of times..."
-
- The events as portrayed are factual enough--except there was much more
blood--and the fighting much more fierce, savage and brutal than depicted.
-
- Auburn Calloway's actions are explained in a nearly apologetic, PC
manner by John Fowlkes (assistant US attorney who prosecuted the
case)--which mystifies me somewhat.
-
- Even at this late date (twelve years after the fact), there are those
who do not wish to acknowledge the truth about Auburn. To characterize
him as self-absorbed, selfish beyond belief, conniving and racist would
be a gross understatement. Auburn wasn't crazy, but he was mean, with
little regard for no one but himself.
-
- Most of the film expended to produce this work has fallen to the
cutting room floor (unless a digital format was used)--so I really
cannot pass judgment on the comments made by Fowlkes.
-
- Still, if I see him in the future, I'll have a couple of questions for
him.
-
- My sincere thanks to Dave Hirschman, who, more than anyone else, has
always tirelessly endeavored to tell the truth about 705 --and to a
Merciful, Gracious and Sovereign Lord who said "NO","... against the
rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world,
and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
-
- " Don't dare to argue with me on this "salvation" story. I was there,
and I have seen marvelous things!
-
- ~ National Geographic Channel presents Suicide Attack on 10 July at 10
PM ET. Check your local listings.
-
- The international version which has already aired in the UK is more
correctly titled, Fight For Your Life.
- ~ Grace and peace to all.
- ~ Yours in Christ, Friar
-
- ~ Our dear friends David and Susan Sanders (David was the captain of
FedEx 705 which was hijacked by a suicidal fellow crewmember in
April1994) have informed us that a National Geographic TV production of
the incident has been produced and will be televised next week. Details
below...
-
- ~ This production is the first that the crew of Flight 705 has
authorized in the 12 years since the incident, and Mike and I have had
the privilege of previewing it...it is well worth your time.
-
- The producers did a great job, and the interviews with David, Jim and
Andy are insightful and thought provoking. Janie~~