[Rhodes22-list] racing rhodes

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 08:18:16 EDT 2006

>R-22s with 175 gennys are faster than R-22s with 150 gennys,  it's just
>that PHRF fleets penalize the 175s to discourage people from racing with
>them.

Bill,

I really don't think you nderstand PHRF. Ratings adjustments are not to
discourage people from using different sails. It is understood that certain
sales under certain conditions are faster. For example if you declare before
the race you are going to fly spinnaker, you take a PHRF hit.  Not to
discourage people but because it is generally agreed that a boat flying
spinnaker is faster down wind. Do you know if you declare spinnaker before
race and decide not to fly you still take a hit? Sometimes in real heavy
winds everyone in our fleet would chicken out and no one would declare
spinnaker. All agreed the boats would get to the downwind mark faster but
under those conditions too much can go wrong.

The reason most racers do not use a 175 is because racers know in most
racing conditions the 175 is not the fastest sail. You take the hit furled
or not. If it is too windy and you race furled to 155 you take the hit. If
racers thought 175 was faster rest assured they would use a 175. Most club
racing is upwind and then downwind. Not ideal for 175 especially in heavy
winds. On a triangle course in light to moderate winds the 175 would likely
be well worth the PHRF hit.

In racing the best sail plan is the one that allows you to reach your marks
the quickest. This is different than who is sailing the fastest. If you
raced more you would realize that very little racing is done on a reach.
Reaching is the strenth of any large genny. PHRF adjustments are supposed to
keep things fair. The goal is not to discourage people from flying different
sail plans. Why do you keep saying this?

Wally