[Rhodes22-list] racing rhodes

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 11:35:13 EDT 2006

Bill,

Nice dodge. Nothing in your post addressed my question. If you don't want to
answer that is ok. I admit I am curious. Why do you think the RC wants to
discourage people from racing with a 175? They really don't care. Your post
indicates you think they have some reason to discourage people from flying
the proper sail. This is simply not true. You do not understand PHRF. If you
did you would not make such a claim.

As for the rest of your post it sounds like you agree with me. In a
triangular course in light to moderate winds the 175 PHRF hit would be well
worth it. Most racing is not on a triangle course.

Who has said the smaller sail is faster? I don't remember reading or posting
such claim. I did say that a smaller sail in the right conditions may be
faster and will get you to the windward mark quicker. A 155 will point
better (and sail faster) than a 175 furled to 155. Do you disagree? I also
said the 175 in right conditions is faster. Do you think the 175 is faster
in all conditions? Again I don't expect you to answer you can go ahead and
describe how the R22 was designed for LIS ......

You say in absolute terms your boat will be most other boats ......I have no
idea what absolute terms are. If we stick to real conditions we can measure
results. I am curious have you ever had anything other than a 175? I have
flown a 125, a 155, and a huge genny (no idea what size) so I have some
perspective. I have a blown 155 but Roger let me borrow his 150 genny for
three months. I have also borrowed a large genny of unknow origin.

Depending on conditions each sail was the "fastest". The difference in
pointing between the three sails was huge. I will admit the large genny was
not a perfect fit for the R22.

Wally