[Rhodes22-list] racing rhodes

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jul 12 09:20:04 EDT 2006

Wally,

I do understand PHRF.

Around here, most courses are triangular in light to moderate winds.
The Rhodes-22 was built on Long Island Sound, for Long Island Sound
conditions, and it would be a real contender, as built, if more people
chose to race it around here.

People who don't know how to use a 175, keep saying that a smaller sail
will make a Rhodes-22 go faster.  That is only true if you over-penalize
the larger sail for handicapping purposes.  In absolute terms, my boat,
or Rummy's will beat most other R-22s--and we prove that out on the
water all the time by flying the 175 full out most of the time.  Rummy
let's his boat heel.  I sail mine flat.  Sailing a 175 full out, flat,
in moderate to strong winds will allow it to plane.

I was planning to work on pointing this summer, but I have not even had
the time to launch my boat yet, so I suspect this project will have to
wait until next year.

Stan asked about building a Rhodes to meet racing rules.  I think that
is always a bad way to build a boat because they keep changing the
rules.  I think Stan should teach people how to use what they've got.
What they've got is a very fast, good pointing, well built, shoal draft,
cruising boat that can win a lot of races in the hands of skilled sailors.

A J-22 weighs 1/2 as much as an R-22, carries less sail than a 175, and
has a 700 lb. keel twice as deep as ours.  It can sail circles around
us--if you let them set the course.  But if you set the course in 24
inch deep waters, the Rhodes wins every time.

PHRF is designed to handicap boats such that any boat can win on any
given day, and it is the skill of the sailor that determines the
outcome.  If the handicap is wrong, change the handicap, don't change
the boat.

Bill Effros