[Rhodes22-list] racing rhodes

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Wed Jul 12 23:07:13 EDT 2006

Hello Peter,

As a Chicago racer in both handicapped and one-design events, I can tell you
that there are many close overlaps, roundings and challenges where collisions
are avoided simply because you don't want to hurt your own boat! As for

I think that Bill's idea resembles some of the pro one-design campaigns where
the crew has no interest (financial) in the boat they are on. It is a cool
idea, but I would have a hard time letting someone else run my boat. However,
except for my IMF, 175, older sails, etc., etc., I would love to participate in
a one-design class race against fellow R22's. A handicap system could still be
developed to accomodate different rigs, rudders and center boards.

Rather than volunteering for another activity (i.e. helping to create the
class rules), I will pay attention to posts on this topic and offer opinions when
appropriate.

For grins, I would be remiss if I did not add that it would be OK if you were
on my stern close as long as I am in front!

Tom Trenkle