[Rhodes22-list] GBI Hilton

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 10:06:05 EDT 2006

Rhodies:

  Timi the 'almost boat dog" & I have booked the Hilton for the 26th-27th of this month to check out what may be MY R-22!

  Right on schedule!

  (Did you take notice, Ed?)

  ;^)

  elle

Peter Thorn <pthorn at nc.rr.com> wrote:
  GlacierStan and Rhodies,

The GBI Hilton is really great. One can sleep near the largest collection
of R22s on the planet and meet interesting sailors like Bob Evans and John
Huntley commissioning a Seaward RK. I learned lots about road rigging just
observing elusive Elton's latest travel rigged delivery. Sorry I missed
Elton. Does he usually depart in the middle of the night? Thanks again
Stan and Rose!

Stan it seems you are describing a mast crane like Roger built for Dynamic
Equilibrium or the Seaward RK has. Rigging a bunch of Rhodes Continentals
similar to DE with a PHRF-smart 155, powerful FBM, conventional spinnaker
and racing them PHRF would likely quickly lower the PHRF rating. I agree
go-fasts like those would attract gadget-fixated racers. Boats like
Sorenson's are different and faster and may provide renewed interest in
standard masts.

Raven was purchased to cruise with Tana. Both are inclined for comfort and
disinclined for racing. I haven't had the time to race Raven yet, but so
far have established the IMF R22 with NC-PHRF to be generously rated 276.
This assumes a headsail not larger than 155 and non-spinnaker. NC-PHRF in
New Bern understands that RCs should carry a lower rating around 258. Bob
Dilk raced his RC at McCotters in Washington, NC and performance supported
that rating there. At least in NC, there is now a distinction between the
older faster RCs and the newer IMF R22s.

If Sorrenson is racing in a one-design fleet, then perhaps no data is being
submitted to NC-PHRF. However I believe both the NC-PHRF ratings for RC and
R22 to be very generous. I think any competent sailor campaigning a Rhodes
in NC-PHRF would soon see ratings lowered.

That's the thing with PHRF. It's a politically correct racing system --
given time and effort anyone can win. PHRF assumes all sailors to be very
good and all boats to be in top racing shape. In the real world we all know
there is wide variance in these factors. If you win a lot, you get adjusted
down so others can have a better shot at you. PHRF provides a system
whereby different classes of boats can complete with each other.

IMHO One-Design is better. The boats are regulated by a system of rules to
all be equal, so it is a competition between skippers. Any class of boat,
fast or slow, can be raced One-Design. You just need a class association to
set out some basic rules and to regulate the members to make sure no one is
breaking the rules.

For example, the Catalina 22 Class Association is an association of C22
owners distinct and separate from Frank Butler's Catalina Yacht's group.
The Catalina 22 Class, not Frank Butler, publishes the C22 class rules and
inspects the boats. The class promotes group racing and cruising events.

It's my experience (with the Tanzer 16 Class) that the people involved make
it interesting. Our T16 racing group is also very much a social group.
Last weekend my crew at the Edenton Bay Challenge was the 15 yo daughter of
another Tanzer skipper, who was sailing with his son. (Lilly was a great
crew. She hikes endlessly, thanks to Tae Kwon Doe conditioning of her
stomach muscles!) There was also a mother/daughter team, and a grown-up
father/son team. It's great for families.

The Rhodes 22 is a far better boat than the Catalina 22. However, the
Rhodes doesn't have a one-design class, like the C22. If we owners were to
establish a Rhodes 22 class association it would probably help maintain the
perceived value of the boat and help Stan. Racing would be fun too. We
could have the first Nationals at Edenton and make the Spitzers guests of
honor.

PT

R22 Raven
RC Phoenix