[Rhodes22-list] boat named "almost dog?"

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat Jul 15 23:15:17 EDT 2006

Tootle wrote:
> ... Bob,
>        So your boat is named 'anomie'?

Nope.  She's called the "Edith P." after my
loyal, courageous, unflappable, and perfectly
poised mother.

"Anomie" described my attitude toward racing.
It was an imprecise shorthand, and I apologize.

To be more exact, the experience of cruising
for me is more like the Buddhist attitude toward
desire.  As I release objectives, destinations,
and competition, I find synthesis with wind,
water, and boat.  That balanced existence is
the reward for understanding interdependence,
for enjoying the flow of forces passing through
and by me.

To put it another way, when you don't care, you
are free to grok sailing in its fullness. (Thank
you, Robert Heinlein)

Hope that helps, Tootle.

/Robert Skinner