[Rhodes22-list] Politics--Ted Koppel on Iraq

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 21 09:44:01 EDT 2006

Herb,

Here is a column by Ted Koppel in today's NYT. Please read it, I'd like
to know what you think of it. I think it is a point of view that must be
carefully considered.

Bill Effros

Look What Democratic Reform Dragged In
July 21, 2006
Guest Columnist

By TED KOPPEL
The New York Times
Printer Friendly Format Sponsored By

The United States is already at war with Iran; but for the time being
the battle is being fought through surrogates.

That message was conveyed to me recently by a senior Jordanian
intelligence official at his office in Amman. He spoke on the condition
of anonymity, reflecting gloomily on the failure of the Bush
administration’s various policies in the region.

He reserved his greatest contempt for the policy of encouraging
democratic reform. “For the Islamic fundamentalists, democratic reform
is like toilet paper,” he said. “You use it once and then you throw it
away.”

Lest the point elude me, the official conducted a brief tour of recent
democratic highlights in the region. Gaza and the West Bank, where
Hamas, spurned by the State Department as a terrorist organization, was
voted into power last spring and now represents the Palestinian
government; Lebanon, where Hezbollah, similarly rejected by the United
States, has become the most influential political entity in the country;
and, of course, Iraq, where the Shiite majority has now, through
elections, gained political power commensurate with its numbers.

In each case, the intelligence officer reminded me, the beneficiary of
those electoral victories is allied with and, to some degree, dependent
upon Iran. Over the past couple of months alone, he told me, Hamas has
received more than $300 million in cash, provided by Iran and funneled
through Syria. He told me what has now become self-evident to the
residents of Haifa: namely, that Iran has made longer-range and more
powerful rockets and missiles available to Hezbollah in southern
Lebanon. We’ll come back to the subject of Iraq.

Only a couple of days after my meeting in Amman, I visited a
then-superficially peaceful Lebanon, where I was introduced to Sheik
Nabil Qaouk, the commander of Hezbollah forces in the southern part of
the country. Sheik Qaouk, who also holds the title of general, wears the
robes and turban of a Shiite religious leader. Indeed, he studied
religion for more than 10 years in the Iranian holy city of Qom. He
received his military training in Iran and his wife and six children
still live there.

Sheik Qaouk portrayed Hezbollah as being a purely defensive, Lebanese
entity. But the more than 12,000 missiles and rockets that the sheik
said were in Hezbollah’s arsenal were largely provided by Iran.

I asked about those newer, longer-range rockets mentioned by my
Jordanian intelligence source. The sheik implicitly acknowledged their
existence, but refused to talk about their capacities, with which the
world has since become familiar. “Let our enemies worry,” he said.

When Sheik Qaouk talked about Israel and Hezbollah, his organization’s
ambitions were not framed in purely defensive terms. There is only
harmony between Hezbollah’s endgame and the more provocative statements
made over the past year by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran’s president. Both
foresee the elimination of the Jewish state.

Are the Israelis over-reacting in Lebanon? Perhaps they simply perceive
their enemies’ intentions with greater clarity than most. It is not the
Lebanese who make the Israelis nervous, nor even Hezbollah. It is the
puppet-masters in Tehran capitalizing on every opportunity that
democratic reform presents. In the Palestinian territories, in Lebanon,
in Egypt, should President Hosni Mubarak be so incautious as to hold a
free election, it is the Islamists who benefit the most.

But Washington’s greatest gift to the Iranians lies next door in Iraq.
By removing Saddam Hussein, the United States endowed the majority
Shiites with real power, while simultaneously tearing down the wall that
had kept Iran in check.

According to the Jordanian intelligence officer, Iran is reminding
America’s traditional allies in the region that the United States has a
track record of leaving its friends in the lurch — in Vietnam in the
70’s, in Lebanon in the 80’s, in Somalia in the 90’s.

In his analysis, the implication that this decade may witness a
precipitous American withdrawal from Iraq has begun to produce an
inclination in the region toward appeasing Iran.

It is in Iraq, he told me, “where the United States and the coalition
forces must confront the Iranians.’’ He added, “You must build up your
forces in Iraq and you must announce your intention to stay.”

Sitting in his Amman office, he appeared to be a man of few illusions;
so he did not make the recommendation with any great hope that his
advice would be followed. But neither did he leave any doubts as to
which country would benefit if that advice happened to be ignored.

Ted Koppel is a contributing columnist for The Times and the managing
editor of the Discovery Channel.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company