[Rhodes22-list] Thugs (political)

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Jul 25 02:23:53 EDT 2006

Brad Haslett wrote:
> Robert,
> OK, you've got my curiosity aroused.  How is it that you are referencing a
> Sri Lankan site?  One of my close friends from childhood moved to my
> hometown in Illinois  (population 650) in the third grade.  Originally from
> Pittsburgh, PA, his mother married one of the local "big farmers".  Mike
> went to the University of Illinois where he met and married a girl from Sri
> Lankan. He now lives in Pittsburgh and is in the tea business with his
> wife's family.  We seldom visit but stay in touch.  Our common joke is
> "whoose wife draws the most attention when in Brownstown, yours with dark
> skin or mine with slanted eyes?"
Brad:

Re. Sri Lankan site:  It seemed like a good idea at the time,
lending a certain credibility to the reference.  Besides, Arthur
Clarke retired there, and he was a really smart fellow.  OK,
that was a non-sequitur, but what the hell.  It's 01:30 and I'm
tired.

Re. wives:  Mine was born in Hong Kong to an American diplomat,
and just got out with her mother before HK was captured by the
Japanese.  Her father stayed behind to take care of the embassy,
and was taken captive.  By the end of the war, he hated rice...

After the war, Barbara lived in many places, and has a remarkably
wide view of the world -- an inspiration to me.  I hope to acquire
a similarly broad and deep understanding before I shuffle off.

Good night,
/Robert Skinner