[Rhodes22-list] New Guy--Change Subject Lines

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jul 26 09:11:42 EDT 2006

John,

Please try to change subject lines to reflect what is inside your email
so the next new guy can learn what you have said without needing to read
through every email ever posted to find your comments.

Old guys and gals try to do this, but we are just as likely to simply
hit the reply button and perpetuate a thread that has less and less to
do with the subject line.

It is hard for newbies to know that we prefer subject lines to keep
changing, because we are all not that good about it ourselves.  Also,
nobody wants to fall into the "what's the new guy doing, trying to
change all our traditions" trap.

This is not directed solely at you, it's something we all try to remind
ourselves about, and we hope you will help in the reminding.

Many of your comments below are permanently useful, but almost
impossible to put in a place where they can be retrieved.  Even though
nobody else seems to be doing it, please break out your comments into
individual replies, each with a subject line that reflects what will be
found in the body of the email.

Also, with regard to jokes and politics, we try to put Politics:
Subject  and Jokes: Subject or at least P: and J: so people who don't
want to see this stuff can easily opt out.

I am the official list scold on this matter, and, as is often pointed
out, I get lazy about it, too.  But in terms of the next new guy--it
sure is helpful when the subject line pinpoints the body of the text,
and a lot of new people contribute a lot of information on many topics
without even knowing they are doing so.

Bill Effros