[Rhodes22-list] And now for something completely different -Power outages

Downs, Willard Willard at missouri.edu
Thu Jul 27 11:10:06 EDT 2006

Bill --

>From Willard Downs here in Missouri.........

I have owned one of the EU1000 Hondas for three more than 4 years now,
and have been very pleased with it.  I have used it for all sorts of
things, including running a 5500 BTU AC on our older 30' powerboat, and
even charging 12 volt batteries without having to use an inverter and AC
to DC charger.  The Eco throttle feature is very nice, helps to keep
fuel consumption and noise down.  It's light enough that it's really
easy to carry around, most anywhere you go.  Vibration is minimal, and
it doesn't walk around while running, even at load.  There are a couple
of things that I've noticed in using it though:

*  The particular unit I have does not vent properly through the gas cap
(has a manual on-off), and will die unless the cap is slightly loose (a
bigger problem when the tank is full/nearly full.  Maybe I haven't spent
enough time figuring out what is wrong with the cap....I'm sure this is
unique to my Unit.  Actually the on-off vent is a nice feature if it
really worked!  Mine is apparently just "off" all the time.

*  Even though it's not really noisy, if it's running close to you for
several hours it eventually begins to wear on you a bit.  I think it has
more to do with the frequency and "beat" of the sound, than it does the
decibels.  Also, as the Eco-throttle opens up, the sounds really
increases, so if your load will require the generator to run at full
throttle most of the time, it can be pretty noisy.  Of course at its
worst, it's better than the competition.

*  I wish it had a larger gas tank, my run times are at the low end of
the range they give, even less, and it can be annoying to shut it down
to re-fuel it, especially at night.

*  Though it will run most of the loads I'd like to use it for, it's
right at the limit for many of them, and won't run a few.

*  If I were buying again, or replacing it, I'd probably opt for the
2000.  With the nearly double fuel capacity, I think that would give me
the longer run-times I want (if I didn't load it up more than the one I
have), and should also help to minimize that noise effect I mentioned
above.  The extra 1000 watts would also be nice to have in reserve.  The
additional cost is not much.  The biggest down-side I can see is the
increase in weight and size.  The 2000 would not fit in some handy
places I store my 1000, and the additional weight would make it more
cumbersome to handle.  While that sounds like a little thing, the almost
"brief-case" like size and weight has been one of the features I've
really enjoyed.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you get.

Willard Downs, Missouri