[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Jul 27 12:49:48 EDT 2006

While I agree with the concept (actually, I alter course just about anytime I think to myself "they should have already turned"), I was curious if Bill knew of some law that I didn't know about.

I think yielding out of common sense (and self-preservation) is one thing, but publicly stating that "commercial vessels have the right-of-way over any sailing vessel" is a little different. Things like that tend to perpetuate "sailing myths", and in some ways are as bad as the "all sailing have right of way over all power boats" sailing myth.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> mjm at michaelmeltzer.com 7/27/2006 7:02:29 am >>>
Fishing: Short handed crews that are running their boats on autopilot and
the have no respect for the reconconational boaters.

The racing sailboats: the define the whole sound as their course and will
always claim stand on, spotting the course can be fun

100+ton barges on tows: their will just plow ahead at 6 knots

ferries: the high speed one are 40+ knots any like straight lines

slow ferries: they are also 100+ tons and like straight lines, at speed it
take them a while to turn and they can not see small boat up close(shaded by
the hull)

freighter and curse ships: the just big. I mean real big

the rule of the road: if after hitting you I can fix my damage for 1 gallon
of paint it cheaper than spending 3 gallons of fuel to avoid every boat