[Rhodes22-list] Right-of-Way

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 21:23:24 EDT 2006

Back in the '80's I served on submarines out of New London, CT.  One day we
were heading out and approaching the railroad drawbridge across the Thames
River.  I was the officer of the deck.  A lobsterboat was hauling traps dead
center in the channel and just a bit downstream of the bridge.

I gave him a prolonged blast on the whistle.  He gave us the finger (I could
see it through binoculars, we weren't that close yet).   The next thing he
got was 5 short blasts.  He threw the trap about fifteen feet and dove for
the wheel.

He was hauling traps.  He was restricted in ability to maneuver, but so were
we, and we had nowhere to give way to.  The railroad draw horizontal
clearance was not much more than three times as wide as our maximum beam,
and looked a lot narrower, especially approaching it with the current behind
you.

As the skipper (not previously a man noted for his excellent sense of humor)
said to the lobsterman on the loud hailer as we passed "HY-80 (steel) beats
fiberglass".  This is a corollary to the law of gross tonnage.

For those of you who may encounter submarines from time to time, note that
they are about 300 to 560 feet long, displace 6,000-18,000 tons, are about
90% underwater, draw 3-40 feet draft and have one screw located aft of the
rudder, so they maneuver unpredictably (especially going astern) or without
significant way on.  They are often mistaken for small craft at night and in
poor visibility due to small radar return of what little sticks up out of
the water.  They are almost always restricted (by draft or by inherent
design characteristics while on the surface) in ability to maneuver.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '02