[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 29 00:37:53 EDT 2006

It's really hard to do controlled experiments with sailboats and
lightning.
We can try to make some estimates, but the hough currents and low
probabilities keep this stuff in the realm of folk wisdom for the most
part.
It seems very unlikely that the "static dissipators" on the market have
anything
but a marginal effect in preventing strikes.  You can use the "circle
of protection"
to calculate the increased probability of a strike for a given mast
height.
For a mast 25' high, given a 60 degree "circle" the area attracted by
the mast
is Area = pi * (Mast height *  tan(60))^2 = 5890 sq ft, about a factor
of
30 larger than the boat area.  This may or may not be a worry depending
on what you think the probability is of being struck by lightning.

The grounding recommended should work - but you need a SERIOUS amount
of conductor to avoid being vaporized by the thousands of amps you are
trying
to conduct.  Fresh water is at least a factor of 10 less conductive
than salt water,
so you need a much bigger plate to make decent contact.  In addition it
is difficult
to make reliable electrical contact with aluminum due to the oxide that
builds up
on the surface.  Any contact to the mast should be large area and
preferably
also penetrate the surface oxide.

Personally, it seems to be the best policy to stay in out of the rain.

Ron