[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning (long reply)

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 22:27:33 EDT 2006

Art and all,
This is a topic that comes up at least once every year. There are a lot of
people that have done extensive research on the topic and the general consensus
 is that nobody can say with any amount of certainty which is the best
approach  for our boats.
Since the R22 has a cabin top stepped mast and not a mast that goes to the
keel, I'm suggesting that it makes a lousy and probably an unlikely target for
lightning. I sail on an inland lake which increases the odds that I will
probably never get hit.
Now, all that being said, I hate lightning and whenever there's even a
slight chance for a storm, I'm at the dock and going home.

Rummy