[Rhodes22-list] sailing and lightning (long reply)

Bud budconnor at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 29 20:21:20 EDT 2006

Art,
  several of us have VHF antennas that stick up 3' above the top of the
mast.  If lightning ever hits the
boat at its highest point, it would hit the antenna first.  A spin on
your idea would to put a lightning
arrestor with a ground on the VHF coax cable.  This would not be as
electrically efficient as your
original idea, but it would be a lot easier to do once and not have to
handle 35' of wire during every
electrical storm.

-Bud