[Rhodes22-list] Stiff mainsail furler

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:59:22 EDT 2006

Jim,

"Over time I've noticed the difficulty of getting the main out."

 If your anything is stiff it may be good or bad.  Most booms list port or
starboard sooner or later.  Don't try to change the natural tendency of the
boom to lean this way or that way.  Nothing is stiff enough at times as it
should be when you want it, and way too stiff when it shouldn't.

There is a place to lubricate the mechanism but I can't describe it on a
public list.  I* will* answer the last question.  I use WD40.  A bit thin
for some applications but seems just right for all the other others.

Now I'm being serious.  Anytime anything binds, it is because of old
lubricants or DIRT.  Clean everything out and it works better.

Good Luck!

Brad