[Rhodes22-list] Tuning our boat and Backing into slip & Mary Lou Troy

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Jun 1 12:24:16 EDT 2006

David & Laurie,

I'm relatively new to sailing and brand new to outboards and marinas, so
this may sound a little basic.

Motoring along the line of slips, I shift from forward to neutral about
two boat lengths prior to reaching my slip, and then immediately make a
90 degree turn away from the slips.

As soon as I'm aligned to back in to my slip, I shift from neutral to
reverse.  When backing, point your rudder in the direction you would
like to go.

As I reach either one of the first bow pilings, I grab either one of the
bow lines.  Both bow lines have loops on the ends (bow lines with
bowlines).  I simply throw the loop over a winch or cleat, which acts as
a brake to prevent me from backing too far and into the pier.  I then
tie off at least one dock line so I don't go floating away, and then
remove the bow line that I used as a brake to re-use it as a bow line.

You can definitely make sharper turns with your centerboard down and
tiller connected to your outboard, however, it isn't necessary.  At low
tide I haven't the draft.  You can make pretty sharp turns with no
centerboard, prop barely in the water, and the rudder at about 45
degrees.

Not a bad idea to practice away from the marina first.  Good luck!

Lee
S/V  I'm thinking about "At Ease," compliments of Mary Lou Troy.  So
which do you prefer Mary Lou; rum or flowers?