[Rhodes22-list] Mark - a redundant reply on stay cover system

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Jun 4 05:53:50 EDT 2006

Mark,
    	My stay cover system is not my design.  In the archives this topic has
be discussed many times.  Not only has Captain Rummy posted pictures but
others have posted pictures and explained their systems.
	You are correct in that some is PVC and some is Teflon.  The bottom two
tubes are PVC.  The top wire cover is either Teflon or a slick plastic tube
about 4 (four) feet in length.  The bottom piece is a plastic (PVC) plumbing
drain connector.  That is it is fatter or has a larger diameter bottom part
and tapers down to smaller on top.  A standard PVC end cap fits the top or
smaller piece.  A hole was drilled through the end cap to accommodate the
end of the turn buckle.  A Teflon washer was placed on top of this.  Then a
piece of PVC was placed over the washer long enough to cover the rest of the
ends of the turnbuckle.  Another Teflon washer was place on top.  The slick
plastic tube was slide up the stay (wire).  Actually two of the slick
plastic tubes could be placed above; however, I only use one.
                     Also, there are boats that use plastic stay covers
above the spreader.  In the past there has been at least one member of this
list who did that.
                     The turn buckle has to be disassembled or taken apart
to install this set up.  It slows down lowering and raising the mast.  The
longer parts may be left on the stays when the mast is down if bungee cords
are used to keep the stay stretched out.  The washers allow each section to
turn independently of the others.  Use this type roller system allows for
the 175 Genoa to be tightly drawn against the stays without undo wear on the
sails.
	     All the above is recorded in the list archives and other references on
sail use.  I am not the inventor.  The picture was attached to the previous
post.   Here is a tool for research:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2006-March/029518.html
	     This all worked well yesterday on Lake Hartwell when we had varying
and gusting conditions.  Captain Rummy has discussed the variability of wind
effects on Lake Hartwell caused by the number of peninsulas and islands.
	The important part of this system is to save the Genoa from abrasion from
the wire stays.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  “ I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.”
        - John Paul Jones