[Rhodes22-list] sailing and related subjects.

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 12:00:43 EDT 2006

thanks rik

Rik Sandberg <sanderico at earthlink.net> wrote:  John,

Bill and I don't agree on a lot of things, but this is one area where we
do. This list thrives because of the diversity of ideas and discussion,
ie, it's not boring. Please find below, the list charter for your perusal.

Thanks for your attention
Rik

to everyone with an interest in Rhodes Sailboats. It is an automated
email distribution list where messages addressed to the list are copied
to every list member's mailbox. Traffic varies from one to 40 messages a
day.

The list is maintained by rhodes22.org as a courtesy to Rhodes Sailboats
Fans worldwide. It is hoped that the list will promote discussion about
Rhodes Sailboats and provide members with a means of sharing their
interests and experiences.

CHARTER: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org

The rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org group will be open to discussion of all
subjects specifically referring to Rhodes sailboats or, Rhodes sailors.
The focus of this group includes, but is not limited to:

* Encouraging the understanding and discussion of Rhodes sailboats or
Rhodes sailors, in the many ways people wish to define them.

* Acting as a source of information for Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes
sailors worldwide and for people planning to buy/sell/repair/learn about
Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes sailors.

* Providing a forum for the development and promotion Rhodes sailboats
or Rhodes sailors' culture, history, traditions and economy.

* Any other subject that might be found at a sailor's bar or the
clubhouse bar, including, Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes sailors' travels,
events, family, jokes, quotations, pets, etc.

* The level of discussion does not have to be fit for a child, but some
good taste is expected.

Binaries and Formatting:

Attaching images (tif, jpg, gif) to an email is acceptable. Our server
will convert these to a web link

Case:

Please use mixed case when posting (Upper and lower case letters),
typing words in uppercase means you are SHOUTING.

Quoting:
Place new material at the top of the post and quote what you are
replying to below. That makes it simple to find out what is being said.
You are encouraged to edit down the quoted material.

HTML mail:
A lot of the email programs (Netscape and Outlook among others) can send
their email with embedded HTML. Embedded HTML can cause some of the list
members to have trouble reading their mail due to "browser wars", not
reading their mail with a web browser and double messages in digest
mode. Members are encouraged to set their programs to send "plain text"
email.

Subject Line:

Please set or change the subject line to reflect the true subject of the
post. For example, "Subject: anchors" might be turned into "Subject: gas
tank was anchors". If a joke (or any questionable material) is being
posted please indicate it on the subject line. For example, "Subject:
Monday's Humor (jokes)"

Netiquette:
Posts to the group are expected to be considerate of other readers.
Personal abuse, flames, and obscenities are *not* appreciated; but we
are sailors.......

Anonymous email:
It is expected that users will provide their name in the email and will
sign same. We like to know to whom we are talking.

Social Interaction/Manners:
To a certain extent, the interaction is about what you would expect in
any informal social setting, for example, a bar. It is recommended that
you get to know people first and introduce yourself (about the same
social rules that you would use to meet any new group of people). There
is a high level of chitchat on the list, and what you might think is
insulting to a group or region might only be people kidding each other
after knowing each other for years. As in any bar, the subjects of
politics and religion can lead to heated augments and bar fights. These
might be best avoided.

The need to participate:
It is recognized that a group is only whoever posts to it, no more and
no less. We can only talk about what people post about. You earn respect
on the list by your postings and trying to help each other, you cannot
demand it. Most sailing topics we have talked about at one time or
another already, we chit chat in the mean time, waiting to answer
questions or for a new subject/story. If you want to know something,
please post it, the more detail the better. If someone is trying to help
you please answer their reasonable questions. If you can help someone,
again, post it. Try to repay the knowledge you may have gained.

Thank You,

The Members of the Rhodes 22 Owner’s Group