[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising System w/Pictures

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 22:11:54 EDT 2006

I have attached three pictures showing the two mast raising systems that I
have.  I have never used the larger system, but can tell you that the new
system is very effective.  One of the pictures shows where the block is
mounted in front of the tabernacle that the crane attaches to.  It takes
about three minutes to set up the system and the mast drops slowly into the
stern mounted cradle. The secret to the new mast raising system is the
extension chains that are added to the inside front stays.  This allows the
stays to control the mast as it lowers.

Mast raising and lowering is really a one person job with this system.  The
only thing I have to watch out for is getting any stays fouled.  The biggest
problem is the adjustment bars on the rear stays getting stuck (that has
happend two of the three times I have raised the mast.)

It is also clear from the pictures that the old system is much larger and
heavier than the new system.

Capn Z
Phillips, WI