[Rhodes22-list] Rod's New Sails; Todds mast raising pictures; Tom T

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 10:50:13 EDT 2006

Ed,

Excellent points. First, I have never used the old system, it came with the
boat, therefore I have no pictures of it in use.  Second, I don't know if
the old system came from Stan, however, I know the new one did.

When hauling the old system out of the garage, I was struck with how large
the monster is.  There is a tabernacle mechanism with a two inch diameter
UHMP plug on the bottom of the mast segment, but don't know how it woud be
used on the R22.  Perhaps the crane is intended to be placed in the cockpit
table socket and used to raise the mast to the stern.  I believe it could be
modified by shortening the entire mechanism and building a new block system
like the new design uses for attachment to the deck in front of the mast.

In any event, I really like the new design.  One thing that strikes me is
how important it is to have the mast crutch at the stern which holds the
mast in a fairly high position for travel and storage.  The height provides
the proper geometry to start raising the mast without the muscles of two
helpers and the cost of all the beer or rum to lubricate the helpers.

I suspect the best option for anyone in need of a mast crane is to buy the
new design with the stern mast crutch from Sir Stan.

Phillips, WI
s/v Zephyrus