[Rhodes22-list] New Sails, CDI

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 10 12:44:08 EDT 2006

Rod,

For what it's worth Raven's CDI FF2 is a bit longer than the pin-to-pin
dimension minus 12 1/4".  I think the CDI is about 5 or 6" less than the
forestay pin-to-pin.  It has always worked very well.

Raven's CDI might have been rigged by GBI or perhaps PO once-removed Gary
Stanford.  Mark Kaynor purchased the boat from Gary in about 2001 and in
early 2005 ago sold it to me.  The 175, however, is cut about 12" less in
the luff than the CDI length, or about 17-18" inches short of the masthead.
I don't know why sailmakers leave so much luff area unused, but it seems to
be commonly done. I wonder if the uppers stays are an issue?

I like your selection of sails and am considering a higher clewed and full
luffed 155 to replace Raven's aging and original decksweeping 175.  In light
air (under 4) it's difficult to fill Raven's old Lee Sails 175 because the
cloth is too heavy.  At 15 knots the 175 is too much sail and must be
furled.  So, I'm thinking a fuller luffed 155 of 3.4 oz Dacron cloth might
work better.  With a higher clew (check out the higher clewed Genoa in the
opening photo on the GBI website) perhaps the headsail would tack more
easily too, keeping the clew above the turnbuckles etc. In light air (we
have lots in the summer) I sit on the lee side and a higher clew would also
allow better vision under the leeward bow headsail foot.  Lastly, the 155
would be best for PHRF racing to avoid a rating penalty.  Unless I learn of
a good reason not to, I plan to order the sail full luff. It seems a no
brainer to collect all the available sail area for the same LP measurement.

Raven came with a 2003 high clewed Mack Sails main. It's a nice sail and
furls very well, but it's preventing me from purchasing one of  Stan's
improved vertical batten mains.  That seems like a great idea!  I would like
to know how your helm balances with you new sails.  Perhaps more area in the
main and less up front might improve a slight tendency for leeward helm in
light air.

Happy sailing,

PT