[Rhodes22-list] Solar Panels

budconnor at earthlink.net budconnor at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 12 21:49:47 EDT 2006

Slim,
  do you really need both panels?  You may need both panels if they are hooked
in series, but the power of the two may be overkill.  You may want to figure out
how much current you typically use, and how much current your panels produce.

I use a small (13"x13") 5 watt removeable panel.  I leave it on top of the poptop when
I am not sailing, and put it down below when I am out on the water.  It trickle charges
my batteries just fine.  I will have it charge one battery one week, then I switch to the
other battery the next week.  I only need the battery for the starting, the radio, and
an occasional run of the lights.  I mention this only to say that you use the solar panels
to replace the power that you have used, and you may find that don't use that much;
and that the spent power may be easily replaced by the sun between sailing outings.

-Bud