[Rhodes22-list] Funny I should ask --one answer

Chelle or Bob Ginsburg chellrg at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 21:24:26 EDT 2006

Hello All,

My 1st mate and I sailed our '88 out of Fairview Marina, on Rock Creek, at
the mouth of the Patapsco on Sunday, 6/11.  Our wind gage showed 8 to 11 kt
winds out of the NNW at the slip which is a bit sheltered.  It was cloudy,
but with no rain or tstorms predicted.  There was a small craft advisory in
effect.
We motored (8 Hp Honda) to just north of the Md Yacht Club where we set the
full main, stopped the outboard and thought about setting the genny. The
furled genny was still lashed tight and we had what looked like 2 to 3 foot
waves, with an occasional larger rogue, or wake.  We continued under main
only.
The apparent wind moved up to 14 to 17.5 kts on our port.  There was a lot
of sail traffic, with just 2 boats observed under full sail, very heeled.
At least two other 22 footers were out.  I think one was a Catalina and one
that looked like a Herreshoff Doughdish, both well reefed.
We stayed on a broad reach or port tack, keeping White Rocks to windward, to
the south edge of Brewerton Channel. There was a large barge and tug coming
south out from under the Key Bridge in the Channel.
Whitecaps appeared, spray came over the bow and the windgage showed a
sustained 20.3 kts.  The rigging whistled
It was now about 3PM and we had been out about an hour.  We came about and
headed back to Rock Creek, on a broad or beam reach, keeping White Rocks to
windward off to starboard.
More large power boats were heading out of Rock Creek and we tried to
quarter their wakes as much as possible.
Fired up the engine and motor sailed a short distance as we came to the
channel markers.  We had a bit of a challenge furling the main into the mast
because I did not want to turn into the wind right there in the channel.
As we approached the slip at low speed, a gust pushed us into the slip
faster than expected.  We were able to grab the portside safety line
(thanks, Jim H.) and brake enough to prevent damage.  After tying up, the
main was run out and re-furled without wrinkles.  The sun came out.
We were out about 2:15 hours, sailing most of the time and enjoying almost
all of it.

Bob G