[Rhodes22-list] Bob Mellor "new" rhodes 22 owner

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jun 15 05:21:19 EDT 2006

Bob:
    I have seen your name on the list before, but do not recall where you
plan to sail.  You said that that you are looking at a 9.8-9.9 four stroke
motor?   I am a fan of the two stoke motors because of reliability and
weight.  I have a Tohatsu 8 two stoke.  I believe that the Nissan 8 hp two
stroke is made by Tohatsu.  So much for difficutly in finding service.  If
you are only going to sail on lakes, an even smaller motor will work fine.
Stop and ask yourself if you will ever want to move your motor by yourself
and go with the smaller engine.
     Length of shaft may be influenced by what motor mount you use.  You
want to be able to take the end of the shaft out of the water to reduce drag
but need a shaft long enough to stay in the water in waves or heeling.
      Forward ports, a properly seated opening forward port is not the
problem some would want to make of it.  Use of the canvas covers usually
keeps water out.  The few drops that otherwise get in are not that big a
deal.  Unless you have cabin top hatches, front opening ports are good for
ventilation.
      Stan sells the 9.9 engines because they used to be the ones that his
tiller steering worked with, not because he believes everybody needs a big
motor.  Ask what Stan uses on that old boat at his house?
      And BTW, welcome.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA