[Rhodes22-list] Old Rhodes 22 owner

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Thu Jun 15 19:25:20 EDT 2006

  Mike
  Really,  you have it over me in the experience .
  This is my first boat, excluding the Pearson Ensign my Dad left me
back in 1985 which I had to sell due to no real income for sailing.

  I like your placement of  the panel but I am going with the standard
placement right inside on the stb top end  of the cabin.  I have to
run raceway for my new cabin lights and it will be hidden nicely by
the standard long shelf over the galley table.  I am designing my own
panel mount out of a nice wood box which held some measuring
instrument from NYU.  A hard wood brief case with good latches, the
Blue Sea panel and fuse block will fit inside nicely with room for my
Xantrex bat monitor also.  The point of the box is that it will fold
down for easy servicing of fuses and any wires.  Going the entire
route according to Don Casey and others, NO skimping!!  I work as a
videographer and have to make my own 12V accessories so I know how
important good soldering and connections are, especially when you add
in the salt air and moisture!

havent thought about a good fix for the laz hatch yet, too early!!

  I hope to sail around Long Island  next year so may be we can meet
then.  May be you can let me tie up to a mooring or dock overnight..

  I plan to keep my boat in  Mill Basin once I launch her.  Bay End
Marine at the end of  the inlet to the right .   We live about 30 min
north in a neighborhood called Kennsington.

peace
  Lou

>No, I do not know much about fiberglass repair but I work very slowly and
>methodically trying to achieve reasonable results, despite my lack of
>experience with the product.  I read everything I can and then try Plan A -
>as sailors, you all know that you must have a Plan B.  So far, I have not
>ruined the R22 - yet.
>
>Lou, I feel your pain - spending time in the bilge (or Laz) is awful.  I
>have spent many such hours in my 25 years of R22 ownership - like holding
>the nuts from inside the Laz while a crew member tightens the stern rail
>screws!  Sounds like I may have to change the subject line of this thread to
>"Old Rhodes 22 & Their Old Owners."
>
>You can't see the cockpit foam from the cabin (the liner is still intact) in
>my boat since I built storage areas at the back of the cabin, in front of
>the foam, for all sorts of goodies.  I also placed my electrical wiring
>console (toggle switches, fuses, AC/solar charge control and AC interconnect
>just inside the cabin, under the step, facing the fridge/icebox cooler.  I
>found that this was a convenient and usually watertight area that is
>accessible from inside the cabin as well as from the cockpit (reaching down
>through the companionway was easier 20 years ago.)  The only problem has
>been that a toggle switch got destroyed when a crew member lost footing
>while entering the cabin from the cockpit during rough weather.
>
>I ran all new wiring when the boat was about 5 years old - about the time
>that the "headlight switch" for the running lights failed.  I used rubber
>jacketed cables (a bit more $$$) but have never experienced the corrosion
>that the PVC insulated wiring seems prone to.
>
>The Laz hatch - one of those "there must be a better way" problems!  I have
>tried replacing the rubber "hinge" with all sorts of stuff and have never
>found a real solution.  I also have problems with the piece of plywood
>separating from the 'glass cover.  Suggestions?
>
>Launch dates for me used to be in March/April, as soon as the weather
>broke - the heck with hypothermia risks if you fell overboard!  Now, I hope
>to be sailing in July, sometime after all of the July 4th nuts have put away
>their toys.
>
>See you on the water,
>
>Mike
>Shanghai'd Summer

  Do you believe the 9/11 Commission's findings or are you in the 49%
of  New Yorkers who don't believe the report and want another
investigation?

  ASK QUESTIONS / DEMAND ANSWERS
  visit any one of these sites for more information.
  http://www.reopen911.org/

  http://www.loosechange911.com

    http://scholarsfor911truth.org

            http://911truth.org