[Rhodes22-list] Old Rhodes 22 owner

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jun 15 13:03:56 EDT 2006

No, I do not know much about fiberglass repair but I work very slowly and
methodically trying to achieve reasonable results, despite my lack of
experience with the product.  I read everything I can and then try Plan A -
as sailors, you all know that you must have a Plan B.  So far, I have not
ruined the R22 - yet.

Lou, I feel your pain - spending time in the bilge (or Laz) is awful.  I
have spent many such hours in my 25 years of R22 ownership - like holding
the nuts from inside the Laz while a crew member tightens the stern rail
screws!  Sounds like I may have to change the subject line of this thread to
"Old Rhodes 22 & Their Old Owners."

You can't see the cockpit foam from the cabin (the liner is still intact) in
my boat since I built storage areas at the back of the cabin, in front of
the foam, for all sorts of goodies.  I also placed my electrical wiring
console (toggle switches, fuses, AC/solar charge control and AC interconnect
just inside the cabin, under the step, facing the fridge/icebox cooler.  I
found that this was a convenient and usually watertight area that is
accessible from inside the cabin as well as from the cockpit (reaching down
through the companionway was easier 20 years ago.)  The only problem has
been that a toggle switch got destroyed when a crew member lost footing
while entering the cabin from the cockpit during rough weather.

I ran all new wiring when the boat was about 5 years old - about the time
that the "headlight switch" for the running lights failed.  I used rubber
jacketed cables (a bit more $$$) but have never experienced the corrosion
that the PVC insulated wiring seems prone to.

The Laz hatch - one of those "there must be a better way" problems!  I have
tried replacing the rubber "hinge" with all sorts of stuff and have never
found a real solution.  I also have problems with the piece of plywood
separating from the 'glass cover.  Suggestions?

Launch dates for me used to be in March/April, as soon as the weather
broke - the heck with hypothermia risks if you fell overboard!  Now, I hope
to be sailing in July, sometime after all of the July 4th nuts have put away
their toys.

See you on the water,

Mike
Shanghai'd Summer