[Rhodes22-list] R22 Remote control linked outboard; Reply to David

David R. Keyes dkeyes at houston.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 10:30:48 EDT 2006

Thanks to Ed, Rummy and Bill for quick responses.  Ed suggests that only the
Yamaha may have the necessary control linkage for the R22.  But Bill and
maybe Rummy have some kind of remote on the Tohatsu with Remote Control.
I'd love to see a picture or get more description of why the Tohatsu does or
doesn't do what the Yamaha does, as to remote control.

My priority is (1) get remote control and (2) get a motor I can lift off and
on by myself at age 66.  I managed to get off the Yamaha (broken in three
pieces) with the help of my 30 year-old son, and I nevertheless badly
sprained my ankle carrying the damn thing off the boat onto the dock and
stepping right on a cleat which I couldn't see, carrying the motor.

I learned about additional teaching I need to do before I let a guest take
out my boat unattended.  I had described all the sailing stuff and the parts
about lowering and linking the engine and turning it on and off.  What I
forgot to describe was the part about reducing the throttle to idle before
being able to go from reverse to forward.  Although I personally back out at
idle speed, that might have been the reason the motor did not fair well when
it backed (with jammed gear cable controls) right into a pointed stern
transom on a 35 foot sailboat docked right behind us.  I will also need to
get from Stan a cracked motor mount platform from his pulley system.
Another reason for the low-speed, slow-motion crash was lack of coordination
between the young man at the tiller and another young man on the dock
holding onto the bow (an unnecessary helper, since pushing out or off is not
needed)--I was later told that the man at the tiller cut one way, while the
man at the bow pushed out and over the opposite way and turning the boat the
wrong direction into a narrow alley of water between lines of sailboat slips
on adjacent docks.  Unfortunately, the young woman who had been a national
champion intercollegiate sailboat racer was in the middle of the boat
looking aghast at both of her male companions, both of whom claimed more
experience than they had.

By the way, Ed, my "Arrowhead" boat name is from Camp Arrowhead about 25-30
miles up the road from you (Tuxedo, NC), where I spent many years as a
camper and then a sailing counsellor.

David Keyes
S/V Arrowhead